Thursday, January 8, 2009

On the road again:

I have been inspired by the blog of “Red” and her struggle with exercise issues and life. I have decided to try to chronicle my road back to a healthy lifestyle. I’ve struggled with weight since grade 5. I was always 5 or 10lbs heavier than my friends…that ratio increased as I aged and bore 3 children.

I was widowed at the age of 33. I found the strength to get in better shape, work out daily and eat healthier. After all, I wanted to be there for my children. I did not want them to become orphans. My munchkins at that time were 2, 6 & 8.


I bought a treadmill and exercised every morning; occasionally twice a day. I ate much healthier over-all (Chocolate was allowed but better quality; less quantity) I had yogurt based protein shakes for breakfast and healthy choices for lunch and dinner. Along with the bonus of feeling energetic and healthy I lost a great deal of weight. I’m embarrassed to admit I lost almost 70 lbs. Sounds great but I had weight to lose! I could go camping, hiking and had energy to take my children places by myself.


I was blessed enough to also find a fantastic man to marry. I got pregnant in our 2nd month of marriage gaining 12 lbs but at just under 20 weeks our son was born stillborn. I suffered severe post natal depression and gained back another 25 lbs! 37 lbs back on my frame! I can relate now to Oprah saying recently ‘How did I let this happen?” ...


Today I went on the treadmill again after about 2 years of hiding it under boxes and draping comforters over the handles. I only did a 30 minute run at speeds of 2.0 – 3.6. I was sweaty, stinky and to my shock, discovered that the running causes me to break wind. (Thank goodness it’s in the basement) I had made a 30 minutes work out play list to encourage me to , as my children would say, “Move it!” It felt wonderful! Why had I avoided it for so long?


Still with the adrenaline fading I realize that this is only one day. I’m on the quick road to the 40’s. My joints will hurt. I remember getting bored of my music but that was a few years ago and now we have the methodology of itunes to change the pumping music around and keeping things fresh. I know to take a hot bath after a hard work out.


When I wake up it will start again; will I go on or won’t I? I will need to fight to keep myself motivated and inspired. After all, tomorrow is another day..

1 comment:

  1. I think it's excellent that you've started running again... you've certainly been through a lot, and I hope that running / exercising empowers you as it does me! Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any comments!